Get Started Register free to see all bed bugs threads and posts! Also be sure to read the Bed Bug guide here for step by step bed bug treatment steps. Have a question about bed bugs? Simply post it and someone within our community will answer it!
You can also find Bed Bug treatments here and a Std check online here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Can bed bugs go through fabric?
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Can bed bugs go through fabric?
Can bed bugs go through fabric material? For example, if I were to wrap a mattress and box spring completely in bed sheets and duct taped any seams, would the bed bugs be able to go through the sheets?

Can bed bugs get into pillows? Can they get into stuffed toy animals? Or are they only on the outside of these objects?

I'm wondering because I ordered several items for Christmas that can't be washed. I'm afraid they'll be damaged or shrink in a dryer and I want to make sure they don't have bed bugs. I inspected the items (a neck pillow and stuffed snowman that has a metal spring and musical thingy inside) and didn't see anything, but I don't know if bed bugs could be inside them.

I also don't know what to do with the boxes that these items shipped in. I don't see anything in them, but could bed bugs still be in the boxes? I usually save the boxes until I know the items don't need to be returned. I also usually save the boxes for miscellaneous use around the house (like storing seasonal decorations).
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
RE: Can bed bugs go through fabric?
Yes bed bugs can fit in the tiniest of places I would suggest using air tight containers and then place the item in the freezer for a day or so, this will ensure any bed bugs have died off. As stated in other places on this forum bed bugs can go without oxygen for some period, but they hate cold! This should be enough!

It's best to use air tight mattress and pillow covers that are made of plastic rather then fabrics.

(12-05-2011 12:08 PM)lilbblu Wrote:  Can bed bugs go through fabric material? For example, if I were to wrap a mattress and box spring completely in bed sheets and duct taped any seams, would the bed bugs be able to go through the sheets?

Can bed bugs get into pillows? Can they get into stuffed toy animals? Or are they only on the outside of these objects?

I'm wondering because I ordered several items for Christmas that can't be washed. I'm afraid they'll be damaged or shrink in a dryer and I want to make sure they don't have bed bugs. I inspected the items (a neck pillow and stuffed snowman that has a metal spring and musical thingy inside) and didn't see anything, but I don't know if bed bugs could be inside them.

I also don't know what to do with the boxes that these items shipped in. I don't see anything in them, but could bed bugs still be in the boxes? I usually save the boxes until I know the items don't need to be returned. I also usually save the boxes for miscellaneous use around the house (like storing seasonal decorations).

Get Free Bed bug Tricks to kill bed bugs on your own at home
--> http://BedBugSteps.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Bed Bug Bully

12-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks.

I was under the impression that items needed to be placed in the freezer for about two weeks and not just a few days.

(12-06-2011 12:35 PM)Cure Wrote:  Yes bed bugs can fit in the tiniest of places I would suggest using air tight containers and then place the item in the freezer for a day or so, this will ensure any bed bugs have died off. As stated in other places on this forum bed bugs can go without oxygen for some period, but they hate cold! This should be enough!

It's best to use air tight mattress and pillow covers that are made of plastic rather then fabrics.

(12-05-2011 12:08 PM)lilbblu Wrote:  Can bed bugs go through fabric material? For example, if I were to wrap a mattress and box spring completely in bed sheets and duct taped any seams, would the bed bugs be able to go through the sheets?

12-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Yes bed bugs can fit in the atomic of places I would advance application air bound containers and again abode the account in the freezer for a day or so, this will ensure any bed bugs accept died off. As declared in added places on this appointment bed bugs can go after oxygen for some period, but they abhorrence cold! This should be enough!
Bed Bug Bully
12-25-2011, 05:37 PM
hi lilbblu,
You were right in saying that they would need to be in there for at least 2 weeks, thats absolutely right. Budbugs need to be in a frozen temp for 2 weeks in order for it to be effective, heat on the other hand is instant death for them. Ask me how i know. I hope that you get rid of your infestation as it can be a pain, i know, but there are steps that you can take yourself that will very well get rid of them permanantly, some people get discourage because they are gettin bit constantly and it makes it hard to get through but.. there are ways you can avoid getting bitten while you fight your infestation. If you need any help you can PM me or post up i will be glad to help
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Even if the bed bugs didn't go through the sheets the'd be able to hide out in the wrinkles in the sheets or any crevices in the tape seams.

Pretty much the answer to all of your questions is, Yes.

Sorry I know that isn't what you wanted to hear.

Bed Bug Bully

07-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I recommend;

Bed Bug Super Pack

This is all you will need to deal with bed bugs on your own and it will save you potentially paying thousands to an exterminator.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Image Verification
(case insensitive)
Please enter the text within the image on the left in to the text box below. This process is used to prevent automated posts.
Please select the number: 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10